Unlike other middle schools, Kingswood Oxford Middle School follows a block schedule in order to maximize learning and better meet students' needs.
In a block schedule, core classes meet for 75 minutes every other day. This increased class time allows students to more deeply explore, process, and apply concepts.
Here are some highlights (please note we modified our schedule for the 2020-21 school year to ensure that it works best for our students' needs so some of these might look different).
- Greater collaboration between students and teachers
- Time for students and teachers to meet for extra help on “off” days
- Consistently scheduled advising time
- Mid-day athletics to re-energize and focus
- Full integration of visual and performing arts
- Time for a full advising program and social-emotional program
- Time for students to dig deeper into content areas (we believe in a smaller curriculum but at greater depth)
- Ability to complete projects, have guest speakers, go on field trips (some of this may be different for Fall of 2020)